Far From Shore
In Right Relationships
1 John 2:3-8
- Theme: Our Father fully expects us to care deeply about our earthly relationships. If it’s important to Him, it needs to be important to us.
1 John 2:3-6(NKJV) Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.
- The TEST: If you know Him, you will keep His commands. (2:3-5)
- Keeping His commands is proof that you know Him. (Evidence)
“We gain intimacy NOT by saying we know Him, but by walking in obedience.”
- Nothing NEW – I’m not writing you a new commandment, but one that always was.
1 John 2:7-8(NKJV) Brethren, I write no new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which you heard from the beginning. 8 Again, a new commandment I write to you, which thing is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining.
John 13:34-35 (NKJV) A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By
“The difference now is that we have seen the life and love of Jesus Christ.
- Getting it right with one another
1 John 2:9-11(NKJV) He who says he is in the light and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. 10 He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11 But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
- Walking around with hate in your heart is like trying to follow a map while engulfed in total darkness.
- To live
likeHe lived requires us to love like He loved.
“The way we love others is our loudest voice to the lost and broken!”